Transactions that need receipts
Note: The below guide is not necessary anymore, now that we have the Expenses & Bills without Attachments report!
If you know how a transaction should be classified, you may want to code this to a different suspense account other than your usual Ask My Accountant / Uncategorized expense account.
This helps you know what kind of question to ask in Keeper when you're ready to ask the client.
Here's what we recommend doing for this process:
- In QBO, we recommend creating a separate suspense account or class called needs_receipt.
- Then, while you're in the bank feed, code transactions there when relevant.
- Create a custom account or class task for needs_receipt transactions.
- Ask or bulk-ask for receipts to your client, which will add these questions to your Client Portal.
- If appropriate, you can use the Similar Historical Transactions Table to now reclassify these transactions to their appropriate expense accounts.
- Doing so will not remove the question from your client's portal, but will allow you to move the transaction to its proper category.
- Your clients can upload receipts to the transaction directly in their Client Portal. However, if you want to direct your clients to a particular place to drop files (e.g., a Google Drive or email), you can give them a link for that in their tab.