Closing tasks are any tasks that you do as part of the month-end close.
This includes work like the account reconciliations, any custom tasks you might create, and the QA reports that you run on your clients' files (see: File QA).
Assigning tasks and due dates
All assignees and due dates will repeat when you start new closes. For example, if you're working on the April close, and you've assigned a task to User A and made it due on May 15th, when you start the May close, that task will be assigned to User A and due on June 15th.
You can assign tasks and due dates in two ways.
For each task, you can manually choose a due date or assignee by clicking the pickers on the task.
Or, you can bulk-add tasks or assignees to all tasks in a particular section by clicking the user and Calendar icons next to the section name.
Keeper comes with 8 pre-defined sections:
- Non-Closing Tasks – see: Non-Closing Tasks.
- Pre-Close – work you do prior to starting the close.
- Account Reconciliations – the accounts you reconcile for a client.
- Transaction Review – the file QA tasks for reviewing transactions.
- See: Transaction Review Reports.
- Payee / Entity Review – the file QA tasks for reviewing payees.
- See: Entity Review Reports.
- Client Questions – where you can see the questions you've asked your clients.
- See: Client Portal, Transaction Questions, Non-Transaction Questions, and Questions from Your Client.
- Additional Items – any other tasks you want to add to the close.
- Final Review – where you can review your client's financial statements.
- See: Financial Statements.
Additionally, you can create your own custom sections for custom parts of your closing process. To do so, click the Add New Section button right above the Additional Items section.
Custom sections will appear in all clients and on the client list. If you are just adding a task to a single client, we recommend you add it to Additional Items.
Creating new tasks
You can create a new task by clicking the Add New button below each section.
If you are in the Transaction Review, Payee/Entity Review, or Final Review, Add New will allow you to add new reports – like all transactions coded to a particular account or class, or Transactions without Class (if you have Class enabled).
If you are in the other sections, clicking Add new will allow you to create custom tasks with subtasks.
All tasks can be reordered by dragging and dropping.
Account Reconciliation Tasks
When you add a client, Keeper will automatically pull all bank and credit card accounts as Account Reconciliation Tasks. If any of these are not accounts you regularly reconcile, you can remove them. You can also add loans and other accounts that you reconcile by clicking the Add New button at the bottom of the section.
Account Reconciliation tasks will show you the date of the Last Reconciled Transaction as well as the balance of the account as of month-end.
If you click into an Account Reconciliation task, you will see a ledger of all transactions in that account. You can also filter this report for transactions with the following states:
- Reconciled – the transaction has been verified in a reconciliation.
- Cleared but not reconciled – the transaction has been added from the bank feed but not verified in a reconciliation.
- Uncleared – the transaction has not been matched to a bank feed item or reconciled to a statement.