Keeper's Prepare 1099s report is designed to help you get everything ready for filing 1099s for your clients in January.
It's an all-in-one report to:
- Find out which of your client's vendors need 1099s,
- Track vendors with missing W9s,
- Request W9s from your client through the Client Portal, and
- Export the report as a CSV that you can upload to your 1099 filing tool of choice.
To add the Prepare 1099s report to a client's file, click Add New in the Payee/Entity Review section and add the 1099s Report.
Opening the report will show you a list of your vendors, sorted by spend, and filtered to exclude credit card transactions and vendors spend totaling less than $600.
- Credit card transactions are filtered out by default because vendors paid by credit card receive a 1099-K from the card network rather than a 1099-MISC from your client.
- Vendors with total spend less than $600 are filtered out by default because that is the threshold where businesses are required to file 1099s.
Once in the report, you can enter all the information you need to prepare your client's 1099 filings. Once you have finished, you can click the download button in the top right-hand corner to export the list of vendors as a CSV that you can upload into your 1099 filing software.
If you have a W9 for a vendor, you can upload it here and use it to enter in the needed information. You can also upload the document to QuickBooks as an attachment to the vendor directly from Keeper.
If you need a W9 for a vendor, you can request it by clicking the Ask Client button. Doing this will add a non-transaction question to your Client Portal that is tagged as a W9 Request.
Some data in this report is saved back to QuickBooks, while other data is stored in Keeper. See the table below for a breakdown:
EIN / TaxID
Keeper and QuickBooks**
Keeper and QuickBooks
W9 on File
Chat / Comments
Keeper, but can be uploaded to QuickBooks
**The full Vendor EIN / TaxID cannot be requested from the QuickBooks API, so we can only show the last 4 digits.
Any TaxID updates made in Keeper will be stored in Keeper and synced back to QuickBooks.
- Once you have started marking vendors as 1099 Needed = No, filter the table for Yes and Unknown vendors only.
- If vendors do not require a 1099, leave a comment to indicate why (e.g., "they're a corporation.").
- Once you are finished filing 2021 1099s, keep checking this list in future months to prevent year end work from piling up in 2022! 😊
Note: The YTD Spend total does not include Journal Entries.
To add the Prepare 1099s report, click Add New in the Payee / Entity Review section.